Jan 11, 2008

Strange things that happen in ABQ

I had forgotten about the strange things that happen when re-acclimatizing in New Mexico. Since I am going through them right now, allow me to share.

First on the list? Static electricity. When I first moved here nearly two years ago (yikes!) both Mr X and I noticed that simply going about our daily activities, specifically walking here and there, generates so much static electricity that every time we touch something we zap. This occurred when we first moved here and now, after being gone for only 3 months, it is happening again. Apparently after a few weeks this subsides - I don't know exactly why but if you do, feel free to enlighten me.

Second: The inevitable dry cracking and generally uncomfortable skin. Normally when I go somewhere with a arid climate, my lips crack. Sometimes they actually crack and bleed. But upon arrival here not only do my lips crack, but the skin on my entire body cracks and itches like mad. It's a strange feeling to squat down to tie my shoes only to feel as though the skin covering my shins and thighs has just split. Lotion helps for a few hours but eventually the air sucks that dry as well and the cracking ensues. Even my eyeballs are dry. I wear contacts and normally I can wear them all day but here my eye's ability to stay lubricated is severely hampered and after half a day of wearing contacts my eyes are completely bloodshot and the contacts might as well be sandpaper.

Third, the elevation. No matter how physically fit I might be at a lower elevation, as soon as I get back here I feel as though I haven't worked out in months. Never mind that I can run for miles at a lower altitude without getting too winded, but as soon as I show up for work in Santa Fe and climb a mere 3 flights of stairs to my office, I'm wheezing like a smoker.

And last but not least but most gross, the bloody noses. You know that drying out and cracking stuff that happens all over one's skin here? Ya, well that happens inside one's nose too and it sometimes has the effect of causing bloody noses. Anything that comes out of noses gives me dry heaves so this one really bothers me. Ick.

All of this stuff goes away after a while here for the most part. (The eye thing is continuous and my skin is always dry but not quite as bad as when I first get here.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

glove in a bottle? I am reviewing it now. Try it. It works pretty well.

Mom said...

Hey, the same things happens to me when I have been in Oregon and return to Idaho. Not quite as severe, but it happens. I hate the bloody noses. The split lips and cracking skin does subside except in winter and the static thing only lasts a day. I want to know about that too, so if you hear, let me know.