Apr 21, 2009

Nothing much going here

Since there's nothing exciting happening at the X household, I guess I'll just post about some of the boring things we've been up to. Last weekend we did some gardening, sort of. Because we rent, we can't really tear out our landlord's yard and put in a garden - I'm guessing he'd be a bit upset about that. So we are gardening out of mostly pots I guess.

There's a small strip of seemingly unused dirt on one side of our garage. Whether it's decent for growing anything remains to be seen. We're going to try though. We've got some wildflowers planted in the first third of it and the rest will be corn. I wonder what our neighbor will think when he sees we've planted corn along our garage.

This pot is full of various type of onions: red onions, sweet onions and yellow onions.

This is my basil pot which I love.

This pot has a couple hot pepper plants (I've forgotten which variety) and one red bell pepper plant. Maybe eventually the flavors will mingle and I'll have spicy bell peppers. I hope not.

I have no idea what types of flowers these are but I swear they are like weeds because I originally planted the blue ones in NM and they died so I tore them out and planted something else instead. I think the second we got to CA they started miraculously growing back and have now nearly taken over the pot. They're pretty anyhow so I'm happy about it.

This is my pot of rosemary which I also love.

This is Mr X's pot of melons. 2 different types of honeydews and 2 different types of watermelon. We're not entirely sure what we'll do if they actually take off. I suppose we'll have to set the melons down into the yard onto the grass and threaten the gardeners if they even think about mowing over them. In my imagination it will be like the Little Shop of Horrors and they'll just take over the entire yard.
So we'll see how this all plays out over the next several months. I'm hoping for a bounteous crop from our little make-shift garden.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Impressive gardening efforts. I am not too sure about the growing melons in a pot thing, though. I would like to see how that turns out.

cdr said...

I'll be sure to periodically take some pictures of the potted melons for you so you can see for yourself if the bounteous harvest goes awry.