Oct 18, 2012

My Latest Experiment in the Kitchen

About once every month or so I attend a group get together with a bunch of ladies who like to cook. Each time a different person hosts and selects the theme of their choice. Last week the host selected a very fall-appropriate theme of pumpkin. Anything we wanted made out of pumpkin. So I decided to attempt to make pumpkin truffles. I did two different kinds. One was a pumpkin ganache-type center coated with milk chocolate and dipped in crushed graham crackers. The other was a dark chocolate and pumpkin ganache center coated in dark chocolate. The dark ones were then either left plain or dipped in cocoa powder.

Mr X isn't a fan of pumpkin or winter squash in general but he humored me by agreeing to taste these anyhow. We both thought he would hate them, but he actually said they were good. Not overly pumpkin flavored and rather quite pleasant. I liked them, but that's not really a surprise. They were so rich, however, that after trying one of each I didn't feel particularly good. Below are the results, if you're interested. And yes, I'm aware they are all a bit wonky shaped. I know I need to work on my presentation.

Milk Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles

Milk Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles

Milk Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles

Dark Chocolate covered Dark Chocolate-Pumpkin Truffles

Dark Chocolate covered Dark Chocolate-Pumpkin Truffles - some I kept naked and some I covered in cocoa powder.



3 comments:

Dad said...

Those have to be a lot of work. Are they OK or delicious? By the way, this is the email I have set up for Dad.

cdr said...

I thought they were delicious. Jeff, who doesn't even like anything pumpkin-y, even thought they were really good.

And yes, they are a fair amount of work and it gets very messy.

adrianne said...

i don't think they look too wonky. they sound good though. i tried making truffles a few years ago and it's harder than it looks to get them looking and tasting decent.

send me the recipe!