Feb 6, 2014

Adventures in Cheese Making

Last year for Christmas my MIL and FIL gave me a goat cheese making kit because they thought it was right up my alley. It was. Here's a recent attempt at making my very own goat cheese:
 
The cooking of the goat milk, after which you add the citric acid, which is the catalyst for the curdling process.

I was really skeptical as I gazed into the pot of simmering goat milk - it certainly didn't look like it would EVER turn into cheese. Then after I added the citric acid and let it sit 10-ish minutes, I came back, peered in again and decided that for sure this wasn't going to work. But hey, I might as well see it to the end, right? So I dubiously poured the contents into a cheesecloth lined colander and then left it to drain. I came back later and to my sheer delight I found a lump of goat cheese left in the colander. I then added the required amount of salt, mixed it in and then filled two molds with as much of the cheese as I could. just wrapped the rest in the cheese cloth in and let them both continue draining in the refrigerator overnight. This was the final result:

It made A LOT of goat cheese. It was sooooo delicious too!

I used some of the cheese in a lemon goat cheese pasta dish I made the next day. Mr X and I ate some plain and then the large round of cheese I've frozen to see how it fares in that state. I've frozen cheese before, but most don't turn out well once they are thawed, in my experience. We'll see how this does - I just couldn't bear to watch my precious homemade cheese mold from my inability to eat it fast enough. (I know, for those of you that know how much I LOVE cheese, the ideas of me not being able to consume large quantities of cheese in a short time is shocking. *shrug*)

The Verdict: Making Goat Cheese At Home Work And It Is Delicious!

No comments: