We pulled off the road at a Ranger Station and went inside to get a map. We talked to the ranger for a bit, learning interesting tidbits about the area. We are fans of that show Dual Survival and we learned that the Everglades survival episode was filmed not too far from where we were at the time. We also learned that the part in the show where they tracked and captured a python was completely staged. Boo hoo! I know they have a disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating that they stage things from time to time, but it was such a disappointment to learn that that particular incident didn't happen to be authentic. Oh well.
We told the ranger that we wanted to do a hike in the Cypress preserve so he pointed us to a trail nearby. On our way out of the door he stopped us and gave us these big walking sticks to take with us, warning us to use them to test the ground in front of our path to ensure that we weren't about to step into a "solution hole", also known as a sink hole. He told us that he was out hiking a few days earlier with his girlfriend and she took a step and ended up thigh deep in swampy muck. Apparently it's fairly common. We thank the man for the walking sticks and the warning and off we went...
Unfortunately our hike was cut short once we got further into the forest as massive swarm of mosquitoes descended on us (we didn't even think about applying repellent). Off we ran, flailing our arms about and slapping wildly all over.
I didn't think it looked particularly appetizing. After a couple of bites I decided that my first impression was right. So I smothered it in ketchup because there was no tartar sauce available. The ketchup made it worse so I just munched on my fries. I probably won't order soft-shell crab again. Plus, at this point in our trip I was completely sick of fried food. Later the waiter asked me how I had liked it and I lied and told him it was good but that I stopped eating it because I'd ruined it with ketchup. He responded by telling me that oh ketchup would kind of ruin it and I should have tried tartar sauce.
1 comment:
Was it hot and muggy? Why didn't you take a picture of the black sink hole and Jeff's stick? How deep do those holes go? Can you get sucked down?
Post a Comment