Jul 16, 2012

July 4th Getaway: Hahn's Peak

One of my goals during this weekend away was to hike to the top of Hahn's Peak. It's not a particularly high mountain - elevation 10,839 feet - but it just looked appealing and I was certain the view would be spectacular from the top. Besides, we could start the hike right from our cabin's front door. It added about 4 miles to our hike so I think we hiked a total of 8.4 miles that day.

The view of Hahn's Peak from the base.

We didn't stop at all on the way up, we wanted to get up quickly before other people. We took our time on the way down, photographing the views and flowers.

This is a panorama from the top. The recent fires, though not too close, caused a perpetual haze during our trip. You can really tell in these photos. The smoke also left both Mr X and I with irritated eyes, itchy throats and sneezy.


On the top of this peak sits an old shack. The story is that it was used as a lookout in "the olden days" to spot forest fires. It had to be rebuilt several times because of lightening strike destruction. I can't imagine being that person, cowering in the corner during an electrical storm. Also, if the person spotted a fire, how did he/she get word out? Run down the mountain really quickly?



The entire top cap of the mountain is just shale. Going down was worse than going up on this stuff. Slip-sliding rocks shifting all around each step. I was very happy to have my walking poles as they proved very useful on this stuff.

Quintessential Colorado: Columbines overlooking endless mountains.

2 comments:

adrianne said...

you have walking poles! and real boots! you two are very mountainy.

Mom said...

Ok. If lighting strikes destroyed the little lookout, what happened to the people inside? If I saw lightening coming with a history like that, I'd be down the mountain, forget looking for fires. And up that high can you imagine how loud it would be? No thanks!